SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The Ole Miss men’s and women’s tennis teams will send three rebels to San Diego from November 2-6, as Lillian GabrielsenJohn Hallquist Lithen and simon junk will release their talents out west after qualifying for the 2022 ITA Fall Nationals.
Gabrielsen had a fiery streak at the ITA Southern Regional Championships held in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The senior Rebel was the underdog of the competition, as she was the last unseeded competitor to reach the semi-finals of the singles tournament. Gabrielsen finished second in the singles competition to qualify for the 32-player roster at the ITA Fall Nationals.
Finishing second in doubles at the ITA Southern Regional Championships two weeks ago, Lithén and Junk received automatic offers in the 32-team doubles field in San Diego. The Rebel pairing was one of 26 pairings to win automatic bids in the bracket, with spots going to ITA Regional and ITA All-American champion and runner-up pairings.
Gabrielsen will face Carson Tanguilig of North Carolina. Tanguilig received preseason honors with a No. 28 ranking in the country and will enter the ITA Fall Nationals as the No. 5 seed.
Lithén and Junk’s first match will be against Pepperdine’s Daniel De Jonge and Tim Zeitvogel, who enter the tournament as the No. 7 doubles seed.
Wednesday November 2 – Singles/Doubles Round of 16
Thursday November 3 – Singles/Doubles Round of 16
Friday 4 November – Singles/doubles quarter-finals
Saturday 5 November – Singles/doubles semi-finals
Sunday November 6 – Singles/Doubles Championships
Lillian Gabrielsen (Sr.) – Oslo, Norway
– 2022 ITA Southern Regional Singles Finalist
– Defeated 2 ranked competitors in the ITA Southern Regional
– Had an overall record of 14-10 in singles and 21-13 in doubles in the 2021-22 season
– Recorded a 2-1 singles record at the Sea Pines College tournament
John Hallquist Lithen (Jr.) – Gothenburg, Sweden
– 2022 ITA Southern Regional Doubles Finalist alongside simon junk
– Finished 3-1 in singles at the Commodore Invitational, earning two ranked singles wins
– Concluded 2021-22 with an 18-16 record in singles and 20-9 in doubles
– Achieved a career-high doubles ranking of 24th overall at the end of the fall 2021 season
– Saw an ITA singles chart peak of No. 98 in Spring 2022
simon junk (Sr.) – Marpingen, Germany
– 2022 ITA Southern Regional Doubles Finalist alongside John Hallquist Lithén
– Finished with a singles record of 21-9 and a doubles record of 14-14 in the 2021-22 season
– Completed the 2021-22 dual season by winning their last seven singles matches of the year
– Reached the quarter-finals in singles and doubles at the 2021 ITA Southern Regional Championships
– Currently ranks 19th all-time in program history in career doubles wins with 54
GABRIELSEN THE UNFAVORABLE
Gabrielsen was the last remaining unseeded contestant to reach the ITA Southern Regional singles semi-finals. The senior defeated LSU’s No. 94 Safiya Carrington and Alabama’s No. 54 Petra Sedlackova to reach the championship and qualify for the ITA Fall Nationals.
LITHEN AND JUNK RIDE HOT STREAK IN SAN DIEGO
The top class men’s duo, Lithén and Junk, fought their way through the ITA Southern Championship field earlier in the fall season, stringing together five wins in the doubles table of the tournament to reach the regional finals after entering as the No. 6 seed. With the crop of doubles wins, Junk rocketed to 19th all-time in program history in doubles wins in career with 54.
NEW TOURNAMENT, SAME MISSION FOR GABRIELSEN
Although this is Gabrielsen’s first time qualifying for the ITA Fall Nationals, his mission remains the same. The native of Oslo, Norway is prepared and ready to take on anything that comes her way in San Diego.
A BUSY WEEKEND AHEAD FOR THE MEN’S TENNIS TEAM
Lithén and Junk won’t be the only ones competing this week to close out the fall season of Ole Miss men’s tennis, as the rest of the Rebel team travels to Atlanta, Georgia for the Georgia Tech Invitational. The tournament is scheduled to take place Nov. 4-6 on the Yellow Jackets courts at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
FOLLOW THE REBELS ON SOCIAL
For more information on Ole Miss Women’s Tennis, follow the Rebels on Twitter at @OleMissWTennis, on Facebook at OleMissWTennis and on Instagram at @OleMissWTennis. Also follow Coach Beyers on Twitter, @MarkBeyers.