National signing day has arrived.
College football’s early signing period begins Wednesday and lasts until Friday. High school recruits can sign their national letters of intent to lock them up in the colleges of their choice.
This is the fifth year that college football has hosted an early signing period, although Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby recently said there is a possibility that the recruiting schedule may revert to his old method of having only one national signing day, the first Wednesday in February.
Recruits in this cycle have had to go through a mandatory dead period for over a year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Some have also had to deal with the task of navigating to where they will sign in the middle of a rowdy coaching carousel.
Safety Kamari Wilson and wide receiver Shazz Preston, both five-star prospects, are among the rookies who will announce their engagements on ESPN’s special signing day (3 p.m. ET, ESPN2 / ESPN App).
We’ll keep you up to date with news, analysis, highlights, updated class rankings and more over the coming days.
Updated class ranking
We’ll update our class rankings throughout the day, so stay tuned to see how the latest signings affect your squad.
Day of signing stunning
Coach Prime has done magic with five-star corner kick Travis Hunter, who is ranked No. 2 overall, moving from Florida State to Jackson State.
Five-star corner Travis Hunter, ranked No.2 overall, has just moved from Florida State to Jackson State. Deion Sanders knocked down a prospect from his alma mater and this is the first time the FCS School has signed a 5-star prospect since ESPN began ranking in 2006. @Sports center @espncfb
– Tom VanHaaren (@TomVH) December 15, 2021
– Travis Hunter (@TravisHunterJr) December 15, 2021
And throwing the other hats here is really just the icing on the cake.
– Maria Martin (@Ria_Martin) December 15, 2021
Tribute to Tate
The state of Michigan has announced that Tate Myre, a 2023 player who was one of four victims of the Oxford High School shooting, is an honorary member of the Spartans recruiting class.
– Michigan State Football (@MSU_Football) December 15, 2021
Three-star offensive lineman Falentha Carswell – better known as “Flip” – signed with Ole Miss after signing for Miami. A good start to the national signing day.
ℹ️ https://t.co/3qyEI5Tx9H pic.twitter.com/Sg8ysoFBbs
– Ole Miss Football (@OleMissFB) December 15, 2021
Texas toppled Oregon offensive linemen Kelvin Banks and Cameron Williams last week, and so far the Longhorns have added two more names to the roster: four-star Xavion Brice (Oklahoma) and Three-star defensive end Ethan Burke (Michigan). And most recently, Texas toppled ESPN 300 DB Terrance Brooks of Ohio State, ranked 89th overall.
Change of plans, stay home. I want to thank Coach Salazar, Coach Vasek and Coach Dodge for making this possible. Looking forward to the future 🤘🏼 pic.twitter.com/Xz9UwRpb7j
– ethan._burke (@ eburke4lax) December 15, 2021
Dude is palming a helmet. Goodness. pic.twitter.com/0qhWUu76gd
– Justin Wells (@ justinwells2424) December 15, 2021
In other flips:
• Auburn knocked down ESPN 300 linebacker Robert Woodyard of Alabama. Woodyard is ranked No. 130 overall.
• Maryland toppled ESPN 300 linebacker Jaishawn Barham, the nation’s No.65 player, just four days after signing up for South Carolina.
• ESPN 300 tight end Jake Johnson, brother of former QB LSU Max Johnson, has signed up with Texas A&M.
Thefts are unleashed
Three-star wide receiver Marquarius White, who goes by Squirrel, signed with Tennessee on Wednesday, and defensive scout coordinator Trey Johnson is among those excited.
MD https://t.co/idzFNpAG62 pic.twitter.com/zIxvIhVAsH
– Trey Johnson (@ThisIsTreyJ) December 15, 2021
Ads taken to a new level
Did you hear …
– Notre-Dame football (@NDFootball) December 15, 2021
Is it just us or is Luther Burden an amazing name?
– Mizzou Football (@MizzouFootball) December 15, 2021
USC has definitely taken it a step further with its intros.
– USC Football (@USC_FB) December 15, 2021
How do you celebrate the turnaround of four-star wide receiver Amorion Walker from Notre Dame to Michigan? A gif of a stick figure doing wheels / flips, of course, just like Ron Bellamy did.
Let’s go goooon pic.twitter.com/q0eXG288VJ
– Ron Bellamy (@ 19Bellamy) December 15, 2021